How do I get a new or replacement birth certificate?

If you need to replace a birth certificate for yourself or a family member who was born in Texas, you can order replacement birth certificates through the Texas Vital Records Department.

Order online at
Order in person at 1100 West 49th Street, Building R, Austin, TX 78756.
Order by phone 512-776-7111.

For individuals born outside of Texas, you will need to search for the right department in the state they were born in. For example, type “birth certificates New Mexico department of health,” into a search engine like Google or Bing. Look for websites that end in .gov to ensure you are getting the government agency and not a third party agency which will charge you more for the same service.