How to Apply Online

We accept applications and documents online.

Online Application Process: 4 Steps To Apply

Hello & Welcome! Follow the steps below to apply for Capital IDEA’s Career Expressway program. If you don’t have reliable internet access, you can request a paper packet. Get your request or questions answered through our HELPLINE: 512-485-9350 or

DON’T WAIT — Expanded income guidelines expire on September 30th, 2023. Get started on your application steps today!

Step 1. Get to Know Us — CareerUp Info Session

Time needed: 35-45 min.

Before you get started with any paperwork, you need to know more about our program. We present information about the support we offer and our qualifications at CareerUp info sessions. Sign up to attend. You’ll meet an Outreach Team member and have a chance to ask questions.
CareerUp — Sign Up »

Step 2. Fill Out an Application

Time needed: 15 – 20 min.
Next, fill out your application using our secure database so that your information is protected at all times. Please note that if you have started an application with us before, your application will be flagged as a duplicate. Don’t worry, just CALL US or EMAIL US to let us know, and we’ll get your application updated. While we’re doing that, you can move on to the next step.
Capital IDEA Application »

Houston Residents: Please note, the application link above is only for Central Texas (Travis, Williamson, Hays, and Bastrop Counties). To apply in Houston, visit Capital IDEA Houston »

Step 3. Upload Documents

Time needed: 30 min – 2 hrs

This step can be a big task for some applicants, depending on your situation. As you’re working on this step, you might have questions — We have answers! Reach out. We can explain which documents you need and why: CALL US or EMAIL US.

1. First, go through the list below to find out which documents you need. Then, collect those documents.
2. Next, use your phone to either take pictures (make sure the text is clear), or use an app like Adobe Scan to turn your documents into digital documents (PDFs). See FAQ: How do I use Adobe Scan?
3. Once you have photos or PDFs, submit your documents using our secure document upload form. You can submit the form more than once. Just be sure to keep track of what you’ve sent so that you’ll know when you’re done. Remember, never send personal documents or information through email. Tip: If your internet connection is slow or spotty, try submitting 5 or fewer documents at a time.

Secure Document Upload »

Documents to Collect:

Open ↕
Required documents:
  1. For yourself, submit three items: 1. your driver’s license (or other state-issued ID), 2. social security card, and 3. birth certificate (or permanent residency card).
  2. For your spouse or partner, submit 2 forms of ID. These can be any of the following: birth certificates, social security cards, passports, driver’s licenses, or state identification cards. Documents from foreign countries are acceptable, but if you have U.S. documents, please submit those.
  3. For each child or dependent in your household, submit 2 forms of ID: birth certificate, and social security card.
Open ↕
  • If you’ve attended college, submit your college transcripts. Unofficial copies are acceptable.
  • If you have not attended college, submit your high school diploma or GED.
Open ↕
  1. Required: Pay stubs for one month of income for yourself and/or your spouse
  2. Required: Your most recently filed taxes
  3. Required, if applicable: Retirement, SSI, Workman’s Comp, Disability
Open ↕
Common types of assistance that must be documented, if applicable:
  • Food stamps, AFDC/TANF, Medicaid, Medicare, WIC, unemployment, child support, housing or utility assistance, refugee assistance
  • If a family member or friend is providing you with some financial support, ask for a letter of support. The letter should include their contact info, how much support they are able to give, and should say if that support will continue while you’re in school.
Open ↕
Types of financial aid that must be documented, if applicable:
  • Education loans, grants (PELL Grant, or SEOG, TPEG), scholarships
Open ↕
Proof of address and residence.
  • Provide a lease or mortgage statement
  • If you do not have a lease or mortgage of your own because you are living with friends or family, provide these three things: 1. a letter from the head of household confirming that you live there and stating whether or not you will continue living there while in school. 2. A utility bill showing the head of household’s name and address, and 3. a piece of mail with your name at the same address.
Open ↕
Types of basic utilities that must be documented:
  • Electricity, gas, phone, and water
  • If you are providing a letter instead of proof of rent or mortgage, you probably are not responsible for utility bills. If that is the case, you only need to provide the one bill and one piece of mail requested in the ‘Housing documents’ section.
Open ↕
Types of monthly expenses that must be documented if they apply to you:
  • Car payment, car insurance, child care, credit cards, cell phone, cable, internet, monthly rentals of storage, appliances, or furniture, etc.
  • If you don’t have any of these expenses, skip this item.
Open ↕
  • If you have a criminal record, please submit a copy of your criminal background. You’ll need to get a copy from the DPS.
  • If you do not have a criminal record, skip this item.
Open ↕
  • If you or your spouse served in the military, please submit a copy of the DD214.
  • If you are a male U.S. Citizen who did not serve in the military, please submit proof of selective service registration. You can print that here:
  • If neither applies to you, skip this item.

Step 4. Take an Assessment

Time needed: 30 min.

Your final step is to take the Criteria Online Personality Profile and Aptitude Assessment. It’s not a graded exam. It compares your personality and aptitudes with your career interests. We’ll use your results to guide you. When you finish step 3, you should get an email from us with a link to take your assessment. If you don’t get an email within three business days, please let us know: 512-485-9350 or